Blue Heron Park – Dam Reconstruction Project
- Urban Drainage and Jefferson County are rebuilding the dam to meet new storm water detention specifications and state requirements.
- A new pedestrian trail and bridge will be constructed as part of the project.
- View the Dam Reconstruction Plan
Began: January 2018
Completed: July 2018
More information, contact:
– Colin Insley, Director of Parks Planning and Construction, 303.409.2304 | firstname.lastname@example.org
– John Conn, Jefferson County Transportation and Engineering. 303.271.8496
Additional activity will be occurring at this site in 2018, click to see Improvement Projects information
Dam Reconstruction PROJECT UPDATE: July 18, 2018
The dam reconstruction project at Blue Heron Park has been completed with a final walk-through inspection with all the agencies involved in the project.
The temporary fence will be removed in mid-August.
Why is the reservoir empty? When will the reservoir be refilled?
The District has junior water rights to fill the reservoir. However, in order to fill it, we must have a very rainy period with permission from the state to fill. This would require enough water to ensure everyone that has water rights senior to ours receives their allotment before we can receive our allotment. As of this point, it may be a while before the reservoir can be filled. Currently, the state is very dry and those with senior water rights get water first. (For example: farmers along the Platte.)
For water use in the future, the District is filing for additional water rights and an agreement with a local ditch and reservoir company to improve how water is delivered to the reservoir. For now, we have to leave the reservoir gate open and let water flow into a grate on the lakeside of the dam and downstream so the senior water users can receive the water. We appreciate your patience with this project and we look forward to when we can get the lake filled so that we can re-install and turn on the water aeration system.
Dam Reconstruction PROJECT UPDATE: June 8, 2018
- The contractor (American West) is still on track to wrap up the project this month.
- Bridge abutments and outlet structure are complete with the core of the dam replaced.
- The pedestrian bridge is being installed and pedestrian trail should be completed by week of June 11.
- Revegetation should follow and the project should be completed by the end of the month.
- The lake fill will happen when Foothills Park & Recreation District has permission from the state to fill. We hope we can fill it yet this summer, however, it will be contingent on weather and flows in the tributary system. In the meantime, we will leave some fencing in place to detour access to the lake bed.
- This project was made possible with funding from Urban Drainage Flood Control District and Jefferson County.
Clement Park Renovations
- Multi-year renovations have been occurring since 2016. View project details
- Multi-year improvements to existing parks and facilities. View project details